90-Day Life Challenge: Boost Health With An Epic Green Smoothie


I just got back from the doctor, and it looks like I might be starting to experience some auto-immune, musculo-skeletal issues as a result of my chemotherapy. I have 2 choices: 1. Wallow in grief about the ups and downs in my health, or 2. Step up my game in terms of my health. I will post another intermittent fasting update shortly--spoiler alert: I'm down 2.5 lbs. and my doctor is thrilled with my fasting glucose.

This is not going to be a long post, but instead a run-down of the components of my anti-cancer green smoothie, why each ingredient was selected, and how it fits into my diet.

*No blender required*

Ingredients

8 oz. of V8 "Healthy Greens" veggie blend
8 oz. of steeped lemon/ginger tea
1 tsp. of honey
juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 scoop of Green Superfood alkalizing green powder

Instructions

  1. I begin by steeping the lemon-ginger tea while I gather the remaining supplies and ingredients. 
  2. Funnel the V8, lemon juice, and steeped tea into a reusable water bottle.
  3. Add the 1/2 scoop of Green Superfood alkalizing powder and the squirt of honey
  4. Shake the mess out of it until blended.
  5. Enjoy the health benefits.

Why Did I Choose These Ingredients?

  • V8 "Healthy Greens" - Most obviously, it includes a tremendous amount of dark green leafy veggies blended with apple and pineapple for sweetness. This saves me a lot of time and money, and the taste blends wonderfully with the alkalizing powder. 
  • Lemon/Ginger Tea - The ginger in this tea has terrific anti-inflammatory properties, and the ginger on its own would be too spicy for me.
  • Lemon Juice - This is very detoxifying for the liver and aids the body in digestion.
  • Honey - Honey also has some anti-inflammatory properties, but primarily it has antibiotic and probiotic properties that help my body feel fewer side effects from the chemotherapy.
  • Green Superfood Alkalizing Powder - I purchased this on a whim after I was returned home after my brain surgery, and I'm so glad I did. In addition to having the components of a standard multi-vitamin, it also has small amounts of the typical anti-cancer vitamin supplements such as: tumeric power, fennel seed, garlic, ginseng, and dandelion root.
Prepared properly, the anti-cancer smoothie only contains 100-125 calories, but is incredibly filling. To integrate it into my diet, I will use this to break my fast in the late morning. As I have previously mentioned in my post on Intermittent Fasting (linked HERE), my typical 16-hour fasting period is from 6:30pm until 10:30am. Rather than eat lunch very early, snack, and then dinner, I am going to begin with my anti-cancer smoothie and then have lunch at a normal time.

Let me know in the comments if you try this anti-cancer smoothie, and what you added/omitted.

Happy reading,

Your Devoted Friend

No comments